What do you do when you know you are having relationship problems? Relationship or marital problems come in all forms. So, if you are feeling distraught, worn out or desperate for help or want to help a loved one, you are not alone. Relationships require work and are bound to face challenges but it is possible to overcome them.
Marital and relationship issues could be caused by…
- Romantic affairs with others
- Parenting issues
- Attachment issues
- Financial issues
- Household responsibilities
- Family issues (in-laws, siblings)
Are you and / or your partner..
- fighting about the same thing repeatedly?
- no longer having anything in common?
- spending less time together?
- having an inactive sex life?
- focusing more on kids than each other?
- thinking about having an affair with someone else?
- keeping things to yourself?
- having a lack of communication?
- having a lack of understanding?
- having incompatible financial values?
- causing or undergoing sexual abuse?
- causing or undergoing domestic violence?
- having a lack of respect towards each other?
Relationship or marital issues aren’t always a bad thing. In reality, these issues can help you stay alert and focused, push you to take action, and motivate you to solve problems. However if you are undergoing any of the following:
- When you aren’t talking (lack of communication)
- When you’re talking, but it’s always negative (feeling judged, shamed, disregarded, in
- When you’re afraid to talk
- When affection is withheld as punishment
- When you see your partner as an enemy
- When you are having an affair
- When you’re not living as a couple
- When your sex life has shifted drastically
…for over a period of 3 months, seek immediate help.
Why is it important to get help in such situations?
- To prevent your relationship issues from affecting your mental and
- To prevent your relationship issues from affecting your performance at work.
- To prevent your relationship issues negatively affecting your child/children.
- To prevent your marriage from ending up in divorce.
- To abstain from using alcohol/ drugs.
- To lead a happy & successful married life.
How and where can I find help?
At Home – you may turn to your family and friends for help. A social support structure is vital to combat such issues.
At Work – if your workplace has a well-qualified counsellor or psychologist, approach them. They will be able to help you overcome problems in your marriage.
Visit a Mental Health Professional – A well-qualified and experienced professional will be able to provide you with the best guidance.